Monday, January 19, 2009

What Can You Do if You Have High Myopia

Ah, my favourite subject. You’ve practiced Bates, you’ve tried just about everything you could find out about it but still see no progress. So what can be done for high degrees of nearsightedness?

I found out that 3 things work really well for me. Mind you, none of them gives me perfect vision but I can feel some degree of improvement and even control. The thing to do is to develop the abilities to control flashes of good vision. If you can do that, the rest is easy.

So, the first thing is swinging. I like to swing as I noticed it let go of tension immediately. It does not improve vision but I can often get rid of eye ache if I happen to have one.

The second thing is sun treatment. I noticed that my vision is always better in bright sunlight. I can even read at distances longer than usual.

The third one is my own discovery. It is the opposite of what Dr. Bates recommends but I can’t help it. It is the only technique that when I perform it I notice some improvement of vision.

It is looking at the distant object. Yes, just looking in the distance, preferably while your eyes are relaxed. I am somehow convinced that if we could spend a few hours a day looking at the distance, out vision would improve dramatically. Pity no one has tried it. Notice I say hours. Measly 10 or 30 minutes are not going to do it.

Just imagine… instead of spending your time in front of computer monitor you consciously spend your time looking at the distant objects. Vast landscapes with distant mountain would be the best. Sailors are famous for having good vision.

2 comments:

G said...

I agree with you Alice on spending time to look at the distance.. that's what our eyes were made for!! Spending all time doing close work is totally unnatural and definitely is a hindrance to progress.

Thomas Wold said...

Good as usual.

I was out walking in a park today.

It was overcast but with diffused sunlight and I found that my vision was even more relaxed and clear than in bright sunlight.