Monday, March 2, 2009

Methods to improve vision. Part 2

Ortho-K-lenses. These are hard contacts that you wear while you sleep. They reshape your cornea but the effect lasts for only a day. So it’s basically night contacts. I have not tried them myself but the idea seems sound and they don’t cause permanent damage to the eye. I’ve read in Leo Angart’s book that hard contacts are worse than day (soft) contacts because they rub off layers from your cornea. Also the risk of infection is greater and they are not as comfortable. I bet they are expensive too.

Ortho-C-lences (orthoculogy). The idea behind them, well, I don’t know exactly as I never got the book promised by the author, John Yee. The claim is that they help you reshape the eye by causing certain muscles to relax (???). How or why these muscles get relaxed is not satisfactorily explained. From description it seems that they are basically hard contact lenses that you wear only for 10 minutes a day. It sounds like a rip-off scam to me. Notice the total absence of any reviews about this method. I would stay away from these. The price is too high to give them a try.

Pinhole glasses. They work on mechanical principle of eliminating most slanted rays so that just direct light rays from the object reach your eye. They improve your vision… but not very well, not enough to move around comfortably. The only use for them I can think about is watching movies. Reading in them is absolute nuisance. Also, wearing them encourages staring which is a habit that should be broken. Not recommended.

These are mechanical contraptions I could think of. In the really old days they used to wear a monocle: it's like glasses, only you pop it in one eye (one-eyed glasses). It looked cool! Below you can see an example of somebody wearing a monocle (ripped-off from Wikipedia!)

No comments: