Thursday, March 5, 2009

Methods to Improve Vision. Part 3

Ok, now let’s have a look at psychological and mental approaches to improve vision

Bates method is the king here. It can yield amazing results, it’s easy to practice (if you know how), it’s harmless even if it does you no good.

Pranic healing. That’s Leo Angart’s favourite. It’s easy to perform but it requires mental focus that he might be naturally good at. I did not notice any results with this method. But give it a try, it won’t hurt.

Hypnosis. Leo mentioned that one too. The story goes that a man was progressed back into his childhood before he started wearing glasses and then brought back to present with his ‘early’ vision. The part that they usually don’t tell you is that the results didn’t last.

Let’s skip chanting mantras and affirmations as I think they are just stupid. Sorry, but I don’t think they work.

EFT. Emotional Freedom Technique. That’s a good one. The idea behind the method is that all the diseases (including impaired vision) are caused by some emotional trauma that usually happened in the distant past. The method consists of in tapping yourself on certain parts of the body thus releasing… well, something. Yes, sounds ludicrous but some people reported success with this method. I tried it for a while but can’t say I noticed any improvement. You can find basic information free on the FFT site and I consider that a sign of quality: at least they want to help people and are not just after their money. Anyway, it’s quick and easy to perform and it won’t hurt.

There are also rumours on internet that you can become rich by doing EFT. The unscrupulous people will try to sell you this information that is available for free on this site.

Convex lenses. That’s the one where you wear reading glasses if you are nearsighted. The reason I put it here is because you wear them for certain period of time until your vision becomes perfect. I haven’t tried them as I am not convinced by the theory behind the method and I haven’t found any positive reviews about this method. And of course I don’t want to aggravate my myopia even more.

Tratak (and similar) method. This one is from yoga. This is really strange. The method consists of gazing or rather staring at the flame of a candle. Without blinking. Like, for 5 minutes or as long as you can stand. Sounds the opposite of everything that Bates said and it’s clear just from description that it will cause tremendous strain on the eyes. Do not confuse it with reading fine print in the candlelight, that one is good. Thomas Quackenbush shares the same opinion with me about tratak (it’s just to show that I am not the only one who is puzzled by this yogic method for eyesight improvement.

I was surprised to read about methods similar to tratak used in visualization techniques, in a way that they involve hard staring. They are probably supposed to make your mind more focused, who knows. They seem to do the opposite of what they claim.

1 comment:

Miri said...

Where is the hypnosis story from?

I find it interesting, since I want to try and relax my eyes with the help of hypnosis (I have acquired myopia).

thanx!

Miri