Monday, March 16, 2009

Perfect Eyesight by Robert Zuraw

Here’s another one of these New Age sites with alternative cures for the eyes. I’ve tried that a while ago so can’t give you fresh impressions. But here goes.

For some reason the info is found on the site of Mantak Chia, though the original author is Robert Zuraw. Exactly the same info. The old site evidently does not exist anymore. Where is Zuraw, you might ask? Good question. If you scroll to the very bottom of that article you will find his name. Well, I guess that's better than nothing.

Anyway, the information is pretty good, I was really into it for a while. Unfortunately I never got any kind of results from practicing the exercises. No wonder, now that I got deeper into Bates, I see that it’s basically stretching muscle exercises that do not involve muscles that are really responsible for focusing. It never ceases to amaze me why they keep comparing eye muscles to the muscles of your body in an athletic sense. I think muscles responsible for focusing are more like our inner muscles. You can’t control your stomach muscles unless you are an advanced yogi adept. But it does make more sense to me that the eye muscles are too tensed instead of being atrophied “for the lack of use”.

So we have all this “ancient” wisdom and a wide variety of exercises with mysterious names like “Egyptian Eye Dot” technique, “Sun Gazing”, etc. Acupuncture and massage are also thrown in.

Well, like I said I have not noticed any benefits. It does give good advice on performing close work. Some techniques are fun to perform and the article make you more aware of your eyes in general. And that is a good thing.

1 comment:

Thomas Wold said...

Good show!

I appreciate the way you do the work on your own eyed and then comment on the material that you find.

Good as usual!